Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why Is Prayer So Important

To discover why prayer is so important and to understand why we want the Lord to make us truly grateful I am going reference the book of Job. For Job’s story shows that by submitting to the mercy and grace of God you may truly be changed.
“In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil.” (Job 1) Job was very wealthy and had everything including sheep, donkeys, camels, a large house, ten children. In the course of one day though Job lost everything. In response to this tragedy Job ripped off his robe, shaved his head, and fell to the ground in grief saying: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” (Job 1:21) Job’s wife on the other hand didn’t handle the situation in the exact manner and she expressed that she felt as though God was done with them. Job was not convinced and he never blamed God, but he did recognize the great evil occurring in his life. I am not saying that Job was happy in any way he felt pain and agony and was at times very bitter but he trusted that God was still there. What Job didn’t know was that Satan told God Job was only loyal because his life was so good and claimed that if God took everything away Job would curse God. Instead of dismissing Satan God allowed his to attack Job. Job’s response to the attack came with great pain and instead of being desperate to regain control of his life he admitted to what is true. What Satan didn’t realize is that God is always there and when evil attacks we come to know Him even better.

This verse sums up the whole point of Job’s story, who was a man struck with tragedy and admitted that he has room to grow. Job went from being a good man to an even better man.  

“I  know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted. You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you,
and you shall answer me.’ My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.” Job 42:3-6


Testing Him and questioning His will is to acknowledge His presence and accept what is going on. Use the scriptures below to always remind you to be aware of God and to know that when we fall He is beside us to pick us up and will give us strength.

“The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Psalms 118:6)

“The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalms 27:1)

“But now, this is what the Lord says-- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead. Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life.” (Isaiah 43:1-4)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment